Monday, March 2, 2009

Music we love and hate

Bob Boilen of NPR's All Songs Considered asks:
So I've been wondering: Why do we love the music we love? It isn't clearly all about talent and craftsmanship, or even style. Is it the time and place we hear music for the first time? Is it where we are in our personal lives? What do you think? Are there bands you know you should love, but don't? And just why is it that you think you don't?

Why, yes! Funny you should ask, Bob. A coworker recently professed his undying love for Pearl Jam to me in an ongoing discussion of music that moves us. Up until now, we've agreed on such bands as Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphys. As you can see, we've had a theme. However, said coworker took it to a whole new level with the Pearl Jam reference. I cringed when I saw the words on the instant messenger screen. Pearl Jam has always been one of those bands that I could take or leave...preferably leave. I don't have any good reason for my dislike, other than that their music just doesn't move me. Which, actually, is a pretty damn good reason. I was thrown off a little a few years ago when I thoroughly enjoyed Eddie Vedder's Into the Wild soundtrack. I have a sneaking suspicion that I only like the soundtrack because of it's association with the movie (see Bob Boilen's question above). But don't get me started on the movie...
Another band that I should probably love but actually loathe? Nirvana. I'll wait while you get up off the floor and compose yourself. Yup, can't stand 'em. No matter how angry I was (am) as a teenager (adult), I've never been able to relate to anything Nirvana put out. Furthermore, I think Kurt Cobain's voice sucked (with all due respect to a man who was doing what he apparently loved). I hate his screaming and whining. I literally cringe whenever Smells Like Teen Spirit is listed as one of the top songs of...ever.
I think the moral of this story? I actually don't like grunge. At all. And while the rest of the music world fawns over this genre and subculture, I'll stick with the happy go lucky music of Mates of State and The Submarines. Thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment